Slow Food Columbus Blog

Living the slow life… one day at a time

Action Alert: Proposed legislation to license street food vendors

with 2 comments

Columbus City Council is considering a measure that would require licensing ($150/yr) for community markets, defined as “any organized gathering of persons to primarily sell… merchandise, fruits, meats, dairy, vegetables, garden produce and/or food for human consumption.” That could mean community markets, farmer’s markets, food trucks, what have you. There will be a presentation from Public Safety and an opportunity for the public to comment TOMORROW, Thursday the 14th, and a second reading on June 25, at which there will be a second opportunity and possibly a final vote.

Please attend and comment! If you cannot do so, please email questions before 3pm Thursday to John Ivanic,, who will pass them along to presenters. For specific questions on the measure, call Councilwoman Michelle Mills’ office at 614-645-5344.

A link to the text of the proposed measure is here. Thanks to Wayne Shingler of Frijolito Farm for bringing this to our attention.

Update: Thursday’s hearing will be held at 5:00 p.m., in Council Chambers.


Written by Bear

June 13, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Posted in Uncategorized

2 Responses

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. Reading through the proposal attached, I do not see mobile vendors listed. Mobile Food vendors (Carts, Trucks and Trailers) currently must get a peddlers permit (good for 1 year, cost about $100) and a mobile vendors license (also for one year, cost $418) and must be inspected by the public health department yearly with spot inspections common.

    I’m not sure how Food Trucks were construed into this but these vendors are already well and fairly regulated.

    cmh gourmand

    June 14, 2012 at 3:29 am

  2. Thanks for the clarification, and sorry for the hasty wording. Much of what I’ve seen on this issue has been at least somewhat contradictory, but I think mobile food vendors were mentioned because there was a concern that organizers of events that involve them would be required to obtain a license (see the first paragraph of 524.02, e.g.), even though the vendors themselves are already licensed.


    June 14, 2012 at 4:50 am

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: